Friday, September 24, 2010

Sabor a Mi?



More than once, I’ve been asked about the title of my novella. “Why did you name it Sabor a Mi? Where does it come from? And what does it mean?” In reverse order, it means “a taste of me” and I blame it all on Gloria Estefan and Jose Feliciano. Years ago, I found their live duet on WinMx, a free, but virus-laden music download site. It was wonderful, but how could it be anything less with those two singing their hearts out? I heard it again, this time at a Mexican resort (yes, that same resort visited by Melody and her friend in Sabor a M). And yes, with the exception of her heartbreaking revelation, a lot of what happened in Mexico was true - even the appearance of that “sexy senior” - but ask me later. I've posted a picture of the resort, bu somewhere there are more photos to prove it (lol).

The last time I found the song was on iTunes. I’d been given a Nano and was busy downloading every kind of music I loved. Again, as in my novella, the version by Mexican singer Luis Miguel was at the top of the list. There are no other words to describe him – he has the voice of an angel. I have since downloaded ten of his songs, and like Melody, although I’m lost in translation I can sing each of them phonetically. It’s no surprise that many of them are on my “most played” list, especially Armando Manzanero’s Medley (I’ve got Feliciano’s version as well). Since then I’ve taken group and private salsa lessons. But I need to learn the Viennese Waltz and have a ballroom party just so I can dance to both of these romantic and beautiful songs.

And what does any of this have to do with mambo, salsa and the story of Raimundo and Melody? Well, you'll just have to read Sabor a Mi to find out!

7 comments:

MsAndie said...

Can't wait to read it Niambi!

Andrea

Linda Chavis said...

What Drea said !!

'Cilla said...

I can't wait to read it also Niambi

Yasmin said...

Nice Niambi...sounds like you have another winner on your hand...CONGRATS sis!
xoxo

Unknown said...

Dance my sister, DANCE!


I am looking forward to the read!

You sure make a sistah proud!

BIG CONGRATS TO YOU!

Ana said...

Congratulations, I am anxious to read it. You must share some of those resort phots with us!

Ana (qvo Somos Latinos)

Shelia G said...

This is my second attempt to comment so hopefully, it'll go through.

Love the title. I knew it had to be something sexy, even though I didn't know the translation. LOL